There are two different types of payees allowable on a Disbursement Voucher (DV) e-doc: individuals affiliated with Cornell and vendors.
Individuals who exist in the Kuali Identity Management (KIM) tables can be paid from the DV e-doc. These individuals in KIM are affiliated with Cornell as faculty, staff members, students, and alumni and are populated in KIM from Cornell's PeopleSoft systems (HR/Payroll, Student Financials, or Contributor Relations). KIM is updated on a nightly basis.
Sometimes an individual's status in KIM is inactive and they cannot be selected as a payee on the DV, and they must be set up as a vendor. An inactive status could occur under the following conditions:
- The staff or faculty member has been terminated.
- The student is not actively enrolled.
- The staff or faculty member has retired.
- The individual may have had an active role when the DV was created, but then became inactive before the e-doc was approved.
Making Payments to Cornell-Affiliated Individuals
- Valid payment reasons for these payees include reimbursements, refunds, and travel advances.
- Rules exist in the DV e-doc that determine whether a specific payment reason can be used to pay an individual selected from KIM. If any of these individuals are to receive a taxable payment such as a prize or award, they must be set up as a vendor.
There are two types of vendors in KFS: Purchase Order (PO) vendors and DV vendors.
- A Vendor (PVEN) e-doc must be created to set up vendors that do not yet exist in KFS.
- Special procedures exist for establishing new vendors in KFS. See the Purchase Order Vendor (PDF, 1.25 MB) Standard Operating Procedure or contact Procurement Services for more information.
- In KFS, a vendor record may contain divisions and multiple addresses.
- The vendor's W-9 is required to set up the vendor. See Vendor Setup for more information.
- A PO vendor can be paid on a DV for authorized payments and/or if a wire payment or foreign draft must be issued as payment for a PO.