Tools Library


Tools Library

Tax Information

Receive Your 1098-T Form Electronically

The Office of the Bursar produces the 1098-T form for students in accordance with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). As of the 2018 calendar year, the IRS requires that the 1098-T Form report the amount paid toward tuition and related expenses (box 1) versus the amount billed for tuition and related expenses (box 2).

Students can access their 1098-T electronically in Cashnet by logging in with their NetID and password. To opt-in for electronic-only (paperless) delivery, click "Click here to accept electronic delivery only option" in the 1098-T box on your Cashnet dashboard.

Students must grant consent for others to access the 1098-T documents. To grant access to another person, follow the instructions below. Note that permissions granted previously in Net.Pay are not carried over to Cashnet, for security reasons.

Granting Access to Others

  1. Log in to your Cashnet account with your Cornell NetID and password.
  2. In the Other Users/Payers box, click Edit next to the user to whom you wish to grant access.
  3. Check 1098-T access for each user/payer and select the appropriate access from the drop-down menu.
  4. Click OK.

Questions about your 1098-T form? Contact Blackboard/Cashnet by phone at (800) 339-8131, Monday through Friday, from 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m., eastern time. More information and FAQ are available on the University Tax Office website.


  • When you choose to receive your 1098-T electronically, not in paper form, you will continue to receive it electronically unless you remove authorization. 
  • The university can only provide general information and should not be contacted for tax advice. You must consult a tax professional or the IRS directly.

1098-E Form

The 1098-E form is produced by the Bursar Student Loan office. For information about this form, see the University Tax Office website.

Questions about your 1098-E form? Email Student Loan Repayment or call us at (607) 255-7234.

Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Resources

Also see: 1098-T Information for Graduate Students