Skip to main content

more options

New York State Residency

Residency status is determined at the time of admission by the college admissions office. Change in residency status is determined by the University Bursar following matriculation (i.e., registration and enrollment for the first semester). Please be aware that it is currently past the deadline to establish New York State (NYS) residential status for tuition purposes for the fall 2015 semester. Applications are now being accepted to determine eligibility for the spring 2016 semester.

The resident tuition rate applies to the following undergraduate colleges only:

  • Human Ecology
  • Industrial & Labor Relations (ILR)
  • Agriculture & Life Sciences

There is no resident tuition rate for the endowed colleges of Architecture, Arts & Planning, Arts & Sciences, Engineering, and Hotel Administration. Resident status for students in the College of Veterinary Medicine is determined through that college. Information is available from the College of Veterinary Medicine's admissions office.


  • The deadline to submit your application for spring 2016 is November 1, 2015.
  • Application and supporting documents must be sent via U.S. mail or overnight sender. Do NOT fax or e-mail any information.
  • Students are responsible for promptly notifying their college registrars if their NYS residency status for tuition purposes at Cornell has changed to non-resident. Once notified, the college will update the residency status, and the tuition will be adjusted to the non-resident rate, effective for the current and future semesters.
Apply for New York State Residency

Note: It is important to return all requested documentation. Be sure to block out any confidential information, such as social security numbers. Please send the completed application and all additional information requested to the Office of the Bursar, Cornell University, 260 Day Hall, Ithaca, NY 14853-2801. If you have questions, please contact us.

Documents on this page open with Adobe® Acrobat® Reader.

Get Adobe Reader