Skip to main content

more options

Residency FAQ

The following are frequently asked questions about New York State (NYS) residency for tuition purposes. If you have questions that aren't answered here, please contact the Office of the Bursar at

To use the search feature, simply begin typing in the search box the keyword for the question you have (e.g., limit), and select from the drop-down list that appears the question that most closely matches what you're looking for.

Search FAQ:

How do I know if I am eligible to apply for New York State (NYS) residency for tuition purposes at Cornell?

There are two situations in which students may be eligible for NYS residency for tuition purposes at Cornell. Undergraduate students at Cornell are considered to be dependents of their parents. If the parents move to NYS and establish a domicile, the student submits an application with the parent's information and supporting documentation.

The second situation is if the student can prove financial independence from their parents and can also prove NYS residency. The student submits the application and documentation that supports both financial independence and NYS residency.

How do I apply for NYS residency for tuition purposes at Cornell?

Once the student has matriculated at Cornell, they may apply through the Bursar's office to change their residency status. An application and supporting documentation must be submitted for review. The instructions, requested documentation, and the application are available here.

What are the deadlines for submitting an application?

Applications for the fall semester are due by June 1; November 1 for the spring semester.

If I am approved for NYS residency for tuition purposes at Cornell, will it be retroactive?

If approved for NYS residency for tuition purposes at Cornell, it will be effective the following (upcoming) semester. There are no retroactive tuition adjustments.

How do you handle divorced/separated parents in the application?

The custodial parent's domicile will be used to determine the residency status. If parents share custody, we look at which parent claims the student for federal or state deductions, or which parent provides the majority of support.

What do I do if I don't qualify now but think I may in the future?

If your circumstances change, you may reapply with the additional supporting documentation that supports your claim.

What do I need to do if I am no longer a NYS resident for tuition purposes at Cornell?

Students are responsible to promptly notify their college registrars if their New York State (NYS) residency for tuition purposes at Cornell has changed to non-resident. Once notified, the college will update the residency status, and the tuition will be adjusted to the non-resident rate, effective for the current and future semesters.