Before engaging the services of an independent contractor or consultant, you must evaluate whether the individual or entity providing the service should be classified as an employee or an independent contractor (vendor), based upon IRS guidelines. The evaluation and classification must be performed before engaging an individual or entity to perform services, and before any services begin.
- Send the following form to the vendor to complete:
Service Provider Questionnaire
Aids Cornell in evaluating of the vendor's “independent contractor status” based on IRS guidelines.
- After the vendor returns the completed questionnaire, use it to complete the Service Provider Evaluation Worksheet which follows, and submit it to your financial transaction or business service center:
Service Provider Evaluation Worksheet
Assists in completing the evaluation of behavioral control, financial control, and nature of the relationship. Attach the service provider questionnaire and the evaluation worksheet to the requisition.
- Complete the appropriate consulting agreement for the services to be performed and follow the purchase order process.
- Consult your unit's human resources department.
- Performer and Small Service Provider Contract Matrix
This document will help you determine the type of contract, payment method, and insurance requirements needed when hiring entertainers and small service providers.
Note: All final search firm agreements must be approved by Human Resources. The authorizing party must retain a copy of this contract. In addition, please forward a copy of this agreement, completed and signed by the contractor and university representatives, along with all relevant attachments, to Allan Bishop, Recruitment and Employment Center, 337 Pine Tree Road, Ithaca, NY 14850 and Glenn Morey, Cornell Procurement Services, 395 Pine Tree Road, Ithaca, NY 14850.