Skip to main content

Financial Processing

The following frequently asked questions relate to the KFS Financial Processing module. For more information, see the Financial Processing Module section of the Kuali Financial System at Cornell Web site. Also, check out the Financial Processing tutorials available in the KFS Training library.

Search FAQ:

How can I determine why my document is out of balance?

If you get an error message stating that your document does not balance, you can determine where the error exists by viewing the debits and credits you entered in the e-doc. Take the following steps to review your entries:

  1. Save the e-doc
  2. View your entries using one of the following options:
  • Option 1: Review the entries on the General Ledger Pending Entries tab
  • Option 2: On the KFS Main Menu tab in the Balance Inquiries section, select General Ledger Pending Entry. Enter the document number for your document and click search, and then find the error using one of the following methods:
  1. Review the debits and credits in your browser window
  2. Export the results to an Excel document, and then filter the document to remove all of the cash offset lines (object code 1000). You will now have a document showing the rows of debit (D) and credit (C) lines that you entered

No matter how you review your results, your debit and credit entries must balance.

When should I use a Distribution of Income and Expense vs. an Internal Billing e-doc?

An Internal Billing (IB) e-doc records the sales of goods or services between units. The billing of these costs would typically include some overhead costs. This document is restricted to internal object codes to allow the university to eliminate internal entries from our financial report.

A Distribution of Income or Expense (DI) e-doc is used when you are sharing costs.

Why can't I access the Payment Request on the KFS portal?

It's an unfortunate coincidence. What we used to call a Payment Request is actually a Disbursement Voucher (DV). The DV is available in the Financial Processing e-docs section on the KFS Main Menu tab. In KFS, the payment request function is actually the invoice payment that follows a purchase order, and only staff in the central Accounts Payable office can access this.

When I search for the Payee ID while completing a Disbursement Voucher, I get the message, “Vendor is the only valid Payee Type for Payment Reason X - Xxxxxxxx.” What does that mean?

Currently, there are two payee types: "Vendor" or "Employees Students Alumni." This message is telling you which type of payee you can use with the Payment Reason you selected.

When I'm creating a Disbursement Voucher, and I search for the Payee ID, why do I sometimes see no "return value" link next to the vendor in the search results?

Currently, there are two payee types - "Vendor" or "Employees Students Alumni" - and the payee type must be valid with the Payment Reason you selected. For example, if you selected Payment Reason O - Honoraria and put an employee's last name in Person Last Name, the name would be returned in the search results, but there would be no "return value" option. This is because the individual is the payee type of "Employees Students Alumni," but this payment reason only allows payee type of "Vendor." So, if you don't see "return value," make sure that you are searching on Vendor Name when the payment type indicates that only payee type of Vendor is valid. Conversely, if the payment type indicates only the payee type of Employees Student Alumni is valid, then do your search using the Person Last Name.

When do I need to set up a student as a vendor?

If the payment is taxable, the individual must be set up as a vendor. Prizes, awards, and stipends require vendor setup, even if the individual is a Cornell student.

How is the address information updated that I use to reimburse faculty, staff members, students, and alumni?

The Disbursement Voucher uses address information maintained in Workday and PeopleSoft as the address for reimbursements to faculty and staff members, alumni, and students. The home address is used for faculty, staff members and alumni. Any address information is updated by the employee through Workday.

The address used for students is the best address we have on file in PeopleSoft. Any address is updated by the student using Student Center, a self-service application.