Skip to main content

W-4 Self Service

Changes to your W-4 can now be managed in Workday. To make changes to your withholding, log in to Workday and, from All About Me, select Pay, and then select Withholding Elections from Actions.

Important: To ensure you submit changes for the correct number of withholding allowances, refer to the written instructions included with the paper W-4 form. Please direct inquiries regarding the W-4 self service application to

Employees can submit federal withholding changes online using Workday, rather than submitting paper forms. Changes to New York State withholding must be submitted to Payroll using Form IT-2104. For more information, see NYS Tax Facts.

Changes made using the W-4 self service application are made only to federal withholding allowances. Due to differences in tax law, and depending on your individual tax situation, this may result in the wrong amount of tax being withheld for New York State, New York City, and Yonkers. Please review instructions located on form IT-2104 carefully to ensure you are claiming  the appropriate amount of tax withholding allowances. To make changes to state additional withholding amounts, or to make an alternate change to state withholding allowances, a paper IT-2104 form must be submitted to Payroll. 

Please ensure you are complying with exemption guidelines by reviewing the IT-2104-E form. Employees must renew exemption from withholding by February 15 each year, or taxes will be withheld.

Due to timing, changes may not be reflected on the next paycheck. Please review your paycheck to ensure withholding allowance changes are accurately reflected. The data displayed on the "Employee Essentials" Web page is updated at the beginning of each pay period, not daily.

*If you fall into one or more of the following categories, you are not eligible to use the W-4 self service application, and must submit paper W-4 and IT-2104 forms (or IT-2104-E form) to Payroll, either in person or by mail:

  • Nonresident alien employee
  • Out-of-state (NY) employee

The above listed employee types must complete the paper forms and submit them by mail or in person to University Payroll. If you have any questions, contact Payroll at (607) 255-5194 or